So, not to start this first post off on a bad note, but…fuck this fabric. The pattern, Butterick B5686 is not so bad (the different cup sizes kinda threw me a bit). This coat earned it’s nickname, Nightmare Coat, based entirely on this extra fraying houndstooth fabric. I swear, if you look at it, it frays.
The pattern itself was fairly easy to use. That said, the instructions do have you combining the lining and the outer shell before they’re actually complete. I find this to be excessively bulky and complicated, so I assembled both separately and then combined. I also added an two extra inches in the sleeves, because I have super long arms. That may not be necessary for others! Only two of the buttons are functional, but I think if I ever made this again, I’d do all four. It needs it. For the lining, I used a flannel backed satin, which feels like heaven but is a bit slippery to sew!!
All and all, I really do like this coat. I love a houndstooth print, and it is warm and cozy. I made view C, so it’s nice, long, and elegant looking. Just…if you use this fabric, know it’s a bitch!! I would suggest maybe surging each piece right after you sew it, perhaps, just to prevent fraying. Be aware that you won’t use all pieces of the pattern, because of the variable cup sizing, that can get a little confusing when you’re sewing!!! And yes, I know, I didn’t do the greatest job matching the fabric print, but it’s my first coat, I’m still pretty happy with it!! Now for gratuitous coat photos!