As I’ve already mentioned 283473987 times, I recently moved, which means I recently packed up all my fabric. Whoa. It’s insane how much fabric I have, that I’ve already used for other projects, with more than a yard remaining. Perhaps I should reevaluate my policy of always buying 4 yards, but…who am I kidding with that nonsense. Extra fabric is always a good thing!
Faced with the daunting task of moving all that extra fabric, I decided to stitch up a few things. Fabric is easier to move once it becomes a garment, in my crazy mind. Realizing that I also desperately need work wear, I landed pretty quick on pencil skirts from Gertie’s first book. I know I’ve been sewing a ton of her shit lately, but this really is my go-to pencil skirt. It’s crazy fast, doesn’t use much fabric, and I already have the pattern traced. Her newest book also has a pencil skirt, but tracing that was an extra step I just wasn’t prepared for, you know?
I actually made three of these, but one of them is in the laundry, so you’ll just have to visualize it. Each skirt took about a yard of fabric. The first is stretch twill, leftover from my frankenpattern dress, which actually uses the pencil skirt pattern, no creative leaps here. The black is a poly stretch twill from Mood, leftover from my unblogged Sewaholic Robson trench. Third is the unphotographed blue satin, with fabric left over from my Nita wrap skirt.
Gertie gives you two options with this skirt waistband, interfacing or boning. I opted for the interfacing, simply because it’s quicker. I don’t enjoy sewing garments for work, so I really wanted to power through these quickly. If I remember correctly, the instructions are fairly easy to follow, but I honestly haven’t used them in ages. These stitched up in around an hour apiece, seriously simple sewing here. I cut a size four, I think, and the fight is tight, exactly how I wanted them. Definitely make sure your fabric has a decent amount of give, though. If not, more ease will keep you from an embarassing wardrobe malfunction! In the end, I needed work skirts, and these definitely fit the bill. I’m naming this a success stashing busting session, happy sewing 🙂