The Tank that Almost Wasn’t (McCall’s m6359)

The Tank that Almost Wasn’t (McCall’s m6359)

Weird smiles.
Weird smiles.

When I first started sewing again, I made my first garment with my dear friend Amy. After the nightmare that was that dress, I thought I would try this simple knit tank. Easy, right? WRONG! At this time in my life, I was sewing on a base model machine, with no knowledge of how to work with knits. What’s worse, I had no clue about pattern fitting. I was hopeless.

Lucille is drowning in it!
Lucille is drowning in it!

I remember when I was originally sewing this, the fabric kept getting sucked into my machine. The stitching just seemed off (zigzag stitching and a ball point needle MAY have been helpful πŸ˜‰ ) The bust darts were too pointy. Using bias tape for the first time, I found it to be wavy and unsightly. In my frustration, I shoved this thing into the bottom of my scrap fabric tote, never to be seen again. That was until I stumbled across the pattern, while browsing the McCall’s site. I’ve sewn plenty of knits now! My machine is much improved! I have ballpoint needles! I HAVE A SERGER! Out came the old tank!

Please pretend you can't see my bra.
Please pretend like you can’t see my bra.

The pattern had been lost long ago, so this was all improvisation. First things first, take in the sides. I was on my way to Amy’s to sew on this particular day, so I did this quickly and without a second thought. I quickly pinned the sides down, turned it inside out, and ran each side through the serger, using the furthest seam line guide on my machine. It fit!!! Perhaps not in the way the pattern intended, but still in a way that I liked. My second step was was to fold the bias tape over, on the inside of the garment, to give it a stable, less wavy finish.

Also please ignore that ridiculous neck tattoo and my love handles.
Also please ignore that ridiculous neck tattoo and my love handles.

That was it, folks! Just a few alterations and this garbage tank is in regular wardrobe rotation. Originally, I had intended to use this embarrassingly simple pattern to make old band shirts wearable again. Now that I’ve conquered it, perhaps you will see a few embarrassingly angsty but modified band shirts on the blog (looking at you, extra large the Get Up Kids shirt).

Happy sewing πŸ™‚

7 thoughts on “The Tank that Almost Wasn’t (McCall’s m6359)

  1. Nice save! The contrast lace is a great touch. It always feels like an accomplishment when you can rework something into something wearable! Even better when the previous frustration is hidden by good sewing like it is here!

    1. Thank you! I’ve loved the colors from the beginning, so it was cool that it got to live lol. It really is, it feels like such a triumph!!! Awww that is the nicest thing I’ve heard in a while πŸ™‚

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *