Flannel Shirt Attempt #1 (Sewaholic Granville/Sewaholic 1501)

Flannel Shirt Attempt #1 (Sewaholic Granville/Sewaholic 1501)

How many excuses are you guys willing to accept for poor photography?
How many excuses are you guys willing to accept for poor photography?

I’ve always had a deep love of flannel shirts. Unfortunately, I’ve also always had crazy long Stretch Armstrong arms, and those two things just don’t go together. For some time now, though, I’ve been wanting to make one but have also been super intimidated by it. The plaid matching! The sleeve plackets! The collar! THE FEAR

I also like to put my hands in my sleeves always.
I also like to put my hands in my sleeves always.

I’ve had a few bits of flannel laying around for awhile, bought for a steal at Joann’s, so long ago that the fabric no longer appears to be available. I think it probably cost me about $3 a yard, so it seemed perfect for a wearable muslin. To do the plaid matching, I cut all my fabric on a single layer. I also cut one piece at a time, going around the body, using the piece I’d just cut to match the other, if that makes sense? Probably not the most efficient way to do things, but it was my plaid virginity and I wanted it to be good, dammit. That said, I did cut the pockets and yoke on a bias. With the seaming on the back, there was no chance of matching, and I just like bias pockets.

Not bad, for my first try at matching.
Not bad, for my first try at matching.

The pattern is the Sewaholic Granville, and it’s absolutely lovely. Tasia also has a super helpful sewalong on her blog, highly recommend. I cut a 10, which was actually a size down, but I wanted my flannel a little tight. I added two inches to the arms, and none to the body. Fun trick: I didn’t cut one front piece smaller or add a button placket. Instead, I cut both the same size, then pressed and folded the excess over (on the front) to create a placket look. I got the idea from Tasia, mine is a teensy bit different, but the same premise. I promise, it sounds a lot clumsier than it actually is. I omitted interfacing there, as I was using pearl snaps and didn’t think it was necessary. This was also my first try at flat felled seams, I think I’m in love. So clean looking!

Not the best photo, but check out those seams!
Not the best photo, but check out those seams!

Speaking of snaps, I kind of disregarded the pattern instructions from button placement and just used my plaid as a guide. Not the wisest. There’s gaping down the front, and the sleeves need an extra snap to keep it from being way too open. I also could stand to take the shoulders in a bit, they’re too wide and and it looks sloppy. Speaking of sloppy, one of the sleeves is absolutely sewn on backwards. Whoops.

You never realize how much you slouch or how awkwardly you stand until you see yourself from behind.
You never realize how much you slouch or how awkwardly you stand until you see yourself from behind.

All and all, I’m pretty stoked on this shirt. I’ve worn it at least six times since I made it, I’m actually wearing it right now! I have another sitting at home waiting for snaps, look for it in the coming weeks. Happy sewing 🙂

6 thoughts on “Flannel Shirt Attempt #1 (Sewaholic Granville/Sewaholic 1501)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *